You may be surprised to know that one in three men suffer from an unnatural enlargement of their breasts, causing mental discomfort and embarrassment to them. This medical condition is called Gynecomastia and is characterized by abnormal growth of breast tissue in men. A male breast reduction in Dubai involving Gynecomastia surgery in Dubai can help get better-shaped “manly breasts” and alleviate unwanted discomfort and embarrassment.
What is gynecomastia surgery?Gynecomastia surgery is a procedure to reshape a man's breasts into more natural-looking, smaller and proportional breasts. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia to numb the sensation of incisions during the procedure. There are three main techniques for doing gynecomastia surgery: the liposuction technique, surgical excision of extra tissue, and a combination of liposuction and surgery. To achieve successful results, you must consult a well-trained and experienced team, like ours, to do the surgery.
What causes gynecomastia?This condition of overdeveloped man breasts can be caused due to:
- Genetic reasons: Gynecomastia can be inherited from family members and may occur at any age.
- Hormonal changes: Changes in hormone levels during puberty, aging, or due to medical conditions like hypogonadism or hyperthyroidism can lead to gynecomastia.
- Obesity/Weight loss: Hormones stored in body fat can cause an imbalance and lead to gynecomastia. Significant weight loss can also result in the condition due to changes in hormone levels.
- Drugs: Certain medications, such as antidepressants, corticosteroids, and anabolic steroids, can cause gynecomastia as a side effect.
- Cirrhosis of the liver: Liver cirrhosis can lead to hormonal imbalances and gynecomastia in men.
- Kidney failure: Gynecomastia can result from hormonal imbalances due to kidney failure.
- Cancer (1%): Certain types of tumors, such as testicular, lung, or pituitary gland tumors, can cause gynecomastia in men.
Who is a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery in Dubai?Men who meet the following criteria are good candidates for having gynecomastia surgery:
- Those who have not seen improvement through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals with normal weight and without life-threatening illnesses or conditions that may impair healing
- Non-smokers and non-drug users
- Men whose breast development has stabilized
- Men who are bothered by the sensation of excessively large breasts.
- And most importantly, men with realistic expectations
Deciding about Gynecomastia surgeryMen often seek Gynecomastia surgery, making it one of the most popular cosmetic plastic surgeries. Before undergoing the procedure, it's important to consider some key questions such as:
- Does your enlarged breast cause social anxiety or physical discomfort?
- Are you uncomfortable exposing your upper body in public places like the pool, gym, or beach?
- Will the surgery boost your confidence and happiness?
- Are you comfortable with the idea of undergoing this change?
What are the types of gynecomastia surgeries?The doctor typically selects the following approaches for male breast reduction:
- Surgical excision
- Or, Both
What are the steps of a gynecomastia procedure?A gynecomastia procedure includes three steps:
- Anesthesia: Medications are given to make you comfortable during the procedure. Your doctor will recommend the best option for you.
- Liposuction technique: If gynecomastia is mainly caused by excess fat, a thin tube called a cannula is inserted through small incisions to remove the fat with vacuum suction.
- Excision technique: If glandular breast tissue or excess skin needs to be removed, incision patterns will vary depending on specific conditions and surgical preference. This technique is also used if the areola will be reduced or the nipple repositioned.